On my way home from work tonight, as I was reading my copy of The Lovely Bones and waiting for the 504 streetcar at Dundas West Station a man with a thick accent approached me to ask for directions. He wanted to know how to get to St. Joseph's hospital.
As I told him to get on the same streetcar I was waiting for, I noticed that he was only wearing a light leather blazer as a jacket and no hat or mittens. He told me he was from Vietnam and had only been living in Canada for a month. He complained about the cold and told me that it was 38 degrees Celsius in Vietnam today, but that even though it was cold he loved Canada because it is "such a free country".
We had a very nice chat and on the streetcar I tried to give him my hat and mittens, but he kept refusing even though I told him I had plenty at home.
A little perspective after a day of work and commuting is such a wonderful thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment