Monday, January 31, 2011

Nice People

There was an "Extreme Cold Weather Alert" in Toronto today. -20 or so...a day in the park for a Saskatchewan girl, but it is a "wet cold" involving humid winds coming up off the lake directly towards my streetcar stop. I can complain a little.

I usually try to do the 25-30 minute walk to his daycare, but on these really cold mornings we jump on the streetcar (two actually, I have to transfer to the 506 at Howard Park). Toronto streetcars weren't designed for parents traveling solo with strollers. The busses aren't bad, but the streetcars have 4 steep steps and then an immediate corner to get around. I have figured out how to get him up onto the streetcar, but it does take careful manoevering...getting down the back exit steps is easier.

The amazing thing, though, is that I almost always get the help of a stranger. There has only been one or two times that I have had to do it myself. Usually the streetcar driver jumps up to help me if there is no one else at the stop. Strangers, young and old, male and female always offer to help me pick up the stroller.

Thank you friendly, helpful Torontonians. You really aren't as nasty as us Westerners make you out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment