Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Arduino and the Hack Lab

Technically I call this the Boodlini blog, but it is obviously written from the perspective of one Boodlini. I figure it's time for a little insight into the life of Stephen.

Our Toronto hairdresser, who like our Regina hairdresser, services almost our entire group of friends is a very unique individual. Getting your hair cut usually turns into the most unusual or surprisingly thought provoking conversation you've had in the past three months. The last time Stephen went to visit her he came home with a couple of DVD's he'd borrowed from her as well as a tidbit of information about a little club called "Hack Lab".

Hack Lab is this group of individuals who get together on Tuesday nights near the Ontario College of Art and Design and talk about their inventions or weird things they've created. To be more accurate, only wanna-be members get together on Tuesday nights, but to become a true member you have to pass certain tests of hack-dom. Does this sound perfect for the silent partner of this blog or what?

Stephen attended his first hack lab last night and noted that the attendees fit into two distinct groups - nerds and artists. When asked who he better identified with, he said that he preferred chatting with the artists as he could impress them more with his knowledge. He got home last night around 11pm talking away about something called ARDUINO.

He was so excited about it and wanted to buy one so badly "It's only $60", but we have been trying to save some money lately so I said that I would buy him Arduino for his birthday. "But that's in May", he said. "Ok...Valentine's Day is next week. I'll pick you up one then." Stephen replied, "how about if I go and get one tomorrow". Obviously, much like my need to pick up Best Laid Plans, today's winner of CBC Canada Reads 2011, he needs to do some immediate shopping as well.

So tonight, he has Arduino attached to the computer attached to our big screen tv and he is programming this 2" x 1" thing to become the brains of the SUPER TOY that he is building for Felix.

Stephen just randomly shouted out "A BROKEN CLOCK IS RIGHT TWICE A DAY".

And that is a peak into the mind of the other Boodlini.....

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that Stephen went to check out the Hack Lab. Said hairdresser must have been thrilled! Sooo...what is Arduino exactly and did you get your book?

    ReplyDelete