Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Baldy is Breeched, Boody is Bummed

On Monday night, I felt some weird sensations in the general area of the baby and then started getting some inner-groin (what I hoped were) punches. The next morning I went to my main midwife (I see 4 of them on a rotating basis to get to know all of them) for my 34 week appointment and was excitedly discussing birth plans and possibilities.

Perhaps I'm weird, but I have been really looking forward to experiencing childbirth again. I had such an awesome, empowering, worry-free, all-natural experience with Felix that left me with these incredible superhuman endorphins and pride at being able to do it on my own.

Anyway, she started listening for the heartbeat where it could usually be found and we could hear it but it was quieter. She gradually moved the doppler up until we could hear it and then she felt my belly and could tell for certain that the head was right under my rib cage.

I know that many of my friends have gone through this and they end up with amazing little babies after a c-section...and I know that I have told so many of my friends that it doesn't matter how you get your baby, it's that they were safe is the important thing. Yes, logically I know that and fully believe it, but I am really so upset and disappointed that I might not get that amazing experience this time.

All hope is not lost at this point. I'm 34.5 weeks and they don't really start worrying until 36 weeks. The midwife said there was lots of fluid and still plenty of room for the baby to turn and it has been head down for every appointment until now.

I'm going to see a chiropractor today, found a bunch of yoga positions that can help, and will try accupuncture. I've even sourced out a hypnotist who has had success with getting breech babies to turn. At 36 weeks (if necessary) they will schedule me for an ECV (a procedure where an OB physically tries to turn the baby which I hear is painful...but I'm thinking not as painful as recovering from surgery).

The stats I read online say that 97% of babies are head down by 38 weeks and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm not in that 3%. Rationally, I know there are plenty of worse problems I could be having with this pregnancy and I am so lucky to be having my second baby having encountered so few issues...but it still is really freaking me out...and I know I sound like a big self-involved whiner to 3-4 of my friends who have gone through this and read this blog regularly.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you know what I know. Have a peek in the Hypnobirthing book (in any bookstore) and there's a whole chapter on getting a breech baby to turn. I've also heard great things about acupuncture and I know Marie has 80% success at getting babies to turn (I'm sure it's similar with the hypnotherapist in Toronto). Also, I've been doing some research on breech birth (our babe is still feet down) and it's totally possible save for one position. I'm sure your midwife would have some guidance on that! Either way... looking forward to new baby Boodlini!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally don't sound like a whiner at all - it's definitely a tough emotional situation to work through! (And, for me anyway, recovering from surgery was *way* less painful than the ECV.) Fingers crossed baldy turns!

    ReplyDelete