In the last week, Stephen has really started to experience life here in Regina. He started his new job on Monday and his social calendar is already filling up with new experiences like UFC night, hockey games, badminton night, and Superbowl parties. I'm becoming rather concerned about his metrosexuality which I so love...is he going to become a Saskatchewan boy? Opening beer bottles with his teeth, cruising Albert Street in his truck, and tipping cows with the boys after drinking a case of Pils?
What if he stops referring to "Pils" as "bunny beer"? Yes, I'm concerned.
A couple of nights ago, Stephen went out to grab a bottle of wine to go with dinner (whoops SUPPER) and at the Liquor Store the clerk asked him what language he preferred to communicate in. Stephen was confused and said English. The clerk then asked, "Where do you come from, I noticed your accent". Stephen responded - Toronto, Onterrible!
It's a funny comment because the first couple of weeks after I moved back here I really noticed the slight difference of the Saskatchewan accent. For example, Saskies say "hey" rather than "eh", and Ontarians have a much thicker "aboot". Garage is another one...Saskies make the 2nd g harder than easterners do.
Another recurring comment from Stephen is about the drivers here. He has classified them into either douchebags who flip into lanes with no signals and drive chaotically versus the uber timid drivers who avoid the douchebags at all cost, taking the term "defensive driver" to the extreme.
He also gets lost constantly despite his GPS. In Toronto, it is easy to tell which direction you are headed because of whether you are going up or down hill (towards or away from Lake Ontario) or depending on where you are in relation to the CN Tower. In Regina, there are no such changes in elevation, and it is often difficult to see the downtown "skyscrapers".
Sarcasm is another difference. We went to a place called "The Rooftop" before Christmas when it was -30. Stephen went up to the hostess and asked for a seat on the rooftop. She explained to him slowly that it was much too cold to sit outside and did not seem to get the humour at all.
Needless to say, it's fun to live with a newcomer to the province, but I have no doubt that he will fit in just fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment