Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Assiniboia Run-Out

I spent my Tuesday in exotic Assiniboia on a run-out with the Chamber Players. The school and community concerts were enthusiastically and well attended. They performed in the Prince of Wales Centre which houses the performance space, library, southeast Regional College, Curling Rink, Gym, and movie theatre. It's quite a new building and a great little performance space. Of course I was further delighted when we were greeted at the door by a man in a cowboy hat and shown to the dressing rooms.

During the afternoon I stopped by the Sherniak Art Gallery. What an awesome and unexpected treat! The gallery was opened in 2005 and houses the collection of a local business man who had travelled around the world and accumulated an incredibly diverse collection. From Group of Seven pieces by AY Jackson & Lawren Harris to local Saskatchewan artists, to works from China, Vietnam, and Australia. Yet another cool aspect of this place is that the gallery houses the local Arts Council office (provided to them rent-free) and a tea room with an espresso machine (a delicacy in small town Sask). I didn't think the place could get any cooler, but they allow you to wander around the gallery with your cappuccino in hand!

The amazing creativity and appreciation of the arts in small town Sask never ceases to please me!

No comments:

Post a Comment