It's still very strange to say things like "my husband" and "my house" let alone "my son". I really don't think of myself as a mom yet, but I guess that takes some time.
I have a preconceived wary attitude towards Mother's Day because I know how hard Father's Day can be without a Dad and I really feel for anyone without a mom who has to listen to all the advertising or attend events for other people's moms.
I remember finding it almost stressful as a kid of a single mom to make sure that we did something nice for my mom without the help of a Dad to organize things. (An example of which would be the time my brother and I around 7 and 8 years old respectively walked to the gift store in our small town to buy a coffee mug that had something about hot flashes written on it having no idea what hot flashes were...it still sits proudly in my mom's collection of coffee mugs).
Yesterday, Felix woke up at 5:30am so Stephen got up and brought him into our bed. Amazingly enough Felix cuddled up right into my arms and fell asleep for a couple more hours...it was so sweet. Keith Richards cuddled into my legs so that I couldn't move, it was beautiful. My mom had stayed overnight the night before so I made a big breakfast of homemade waffles and she picked up my brother and we spent the morning playing with Felix. It was so perfect.
My present was a framed photo of Felix and I on the beach in Mexico. I love it because I keep a framed photograph of my very 70's hipster looking father and myself sitting on the beach when I was about 6 months old.
No comments:
Post a Comment