Friday, July 18, 2008

TGIF

I strolled into work at about 9:30 this morning. It was absolutely impossible to get out of bed, I think the jet lag has finally caught up with me or perhaps because it was such a challenging week of keeping people happy and not getting the answers I wanted. When I got into work it turned out that the internet was broken and our new photocopy machine wasn't working and everyone was completely frustrated. I suggested that we put down our work and head to Starbucks. Yes, a TSO tradition, but Starbucks truly solves all problems. At the very least you get back to work with a fresh start. It turned out nicely because the EA, Marketing Director, and I got to have a little bonding time. I'm really lucky to have the awesome staff that I do at the RSO.

I got back into work and had a chance to catch up a bit. Went through my files and checked a few items off of my to do list. And then I had a nice surprise - Josh called! It was so nice to catch up with my former co-worker. I miss my Toronto friends so much. He had great news of a Europe tour in August with Kate Rogers. I checked out her website and she's really good. I love it when my friends are doing exactly what they want to do, and Josh seems to be really finding that now...and all it took was quitting his job and going for it.

A couple of meetings in the afternoon. One of them was about facebook - I love meetings about social networking.

Tonight I am at home with a rented movie, Tesla, and a good supply of popcorn, but I really feel like going out for a glass of wine. I just don't have those connections with friends here yet that I feel like I could call at the last minute and I know that they would want to go out. And then...I pretty much end up hating it here. I wish I was back in my own house, going out with my awesome friends, or hanging out with my fabulous husband. I would even prefer to go to Home Depot with my awesome husband and spend an hour choosing the right piece of wire or a light fixture.

The loneliest I have ever been was when I was teaching English in Slovakia. I spent my days and nights teaching English never really able to have an easy conversation with anyone, often with no plans for the weekend, having to walk ten blocks to the nearest internet cafe so that I could send messages home to family and friends. It led to desperation - eating vast quantities of chocolate, talking to anyone at the train station with a Canadian flag on their backpack, watching Slovak television and not understanding anything for hours.

This is not nearly as bad as that was and I shouldn't complain because it's only for a limited time until Stephen gets here - and in that time I have this amazing job that I know is a huge opportunity and that I really want.

1 comment:

  1. Boody,

    STEP 1: Put your right hand on your left shoulder.
    STEP 2: Keep it there.
    STEP 3: Put your left hand on your right shoulder.
    STEP 4: Squeeze REALLY hard.

    And that's a hug from me.

    Can't wait to see your skype-face on Wednesday and then in real life on the long weekend!

    Lurve,
    Klin

    ReplyDelete