Saturday, November 21, 2009

A Country Music Excursion in the Country

I've been harassing my dear ex-TSO colleague and great friend, Josh, to convince one of the many bands he plays drums for to tour through Saskatchewan. He told me months ago that there was a strong possibility that he would be coming our way at the end of November with Joshua Cockerill, a young and talented folk-country artist. I decided that it was Murphy's Law that we would have a newborn baby then and we probably wouldn't get to see him.

It just so happens that between Winnipeg and Alberta they added a concert at Pump Jack Saloon in Weyburn on Thursday night. Steve and I hemmed and hawed for about 30 seconds and then realized that it was only an hour away and there is a hospital in Weyburn so we hit the road after Steve was done work.

We had a great supper at the Saloon (amazing food that surprised me) and a great visit with Josh and Devo (the bass player who we also knew through Josh). I wasn't really sure what to expect from the music, but this 22 year old has some great songwriting talent. We of course bought his CD which features people like Serena Ryder, pretty impressive. Oh and the band changed their name to Joshua Cockerill and The Midwives for that evening...in honour of my current state. Too funny.

The music, food, and the visit with Josher were so great. On the drive to Weyburn I asked Stephen what he would have thought if three years ago someone told us we would be watching one of Josh's bands play in Weyburn, Saskatchewan.

No comments:

Post a Comment