Sunday, May 1, 2011

Pneumonia!

It has been a LONG 13 days. Yesterday morning Felix was still not quite himself, but he seemed to be feeling better, was interested in a bit of food, and did some playing. When he woke up from his afternoon nap at the perfect scheduled time, I went upstairs to grab him but when I saw him I stopped in my tracks.

He was having a very difficult time breathing, gasping for breath, his fever had spiked again, and he was making the saddest little moans (not cries...this kid is tough...which I think is why his diagnosis was missed time and again).

I went to grab Stephen who was nicely helping one of our neighbours who needed a hand cleaning out the garage and we decided to head to the ER yet again. When we got there we eventually saw the same Dr that Felix saw on Easter Sunday (a really nice thorough Dr who had missed the ear infection). He said, "I remember seeing this kid before because I loved his name. Let's get to the bottom of this."

He checked his breathing which had straighted out by then, but ordered a chest x-ray anyway. I couldn't go in because I'm knocked up, but heard Felix yelling "MOMMY" from the other side of the door. We started waiting for the results, but this seriously hyper-diseasey leaky-eyed kid started touching all of Felix's gear in the waiting room so we decided to go for a walk. The Dr. called us and told us to get back there immediately as Felix had really serious pneumonia. He was surprised it was so bad because he couldn't hear anything on his chest, even the pediatrician and resident who checked him later couldn't hear anything...no wonder no one believed us and thank goodness for that x ray.

We then waited until about 10pm to get a room in the pediatrics ward (we had gotten to the hospital at 3:30pm. Stephen zipped back home to grab me a sandwich and some snacks. Felix got his iV put in and Felix and I settled in for the night while Stephen went home to get a proper rest so he could take over the morning shift.

It was a rough night, I got maximum 30 minutes of sleep at a time and there was another point in the night when Felix's fever spiked and his breathing got really bad but the nurse was so nice and let me listen to his chest.

I'm home now for a rest and shower before heading back later this morning. Thank goodness we live a five minute walk from the hospital. Felix is going to be fine and was already perking up this morning, trying happily to wrap his iv cord around things and to pull it out. It might be 2-3 days and I start my new job tomorrow, but I'm so thankful we REALLY know what it is now and he is finally getting the care he needs so that he can get better.

1 comment:

  1. Big big hugs to you, glad to hear Felix is doing better ~ and good luck at the new job!

    ReplyDelete