Monday, June 27, 2011

New Work-Hood

My new job is in the Annex, near Bloor & Bathurst. It's an area of the city that makes me nostalgic for my first year in Toronto (as I'm sure it does many student types for its proximity to the U of T).

It has changed quite a bit since I first lived there in the Fall of 2002. Sometimes I walk by my old apartment building on the way to Starbucks and shake my head at how awesome it was for me then (location location location no kitchen pull-out couch) and in disbelieve that I used to live in such squandor, but I guess every student has their horror stories.

The neighbourhood also makes me think about my Regina book club. Weird connection, huh? I think about it because of reading Unless by Carol Shields and about the daughter who sat in silence at the corner near the Bathurst subway station.

It's the first time since living in Toronto that I've had the opportunity to work outside of the downtown core. I love not seeing a million suits and missing the rat race. I love the student/arts feel. I love the inexpensive falafel joints. I love Honest Ed's.

Yes, it's a good 'hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment