Friday, October 28, 2011

Baby Namin'

When it comes to Baby Namin' Stephen and I have pretty laid back, easy discussions and are generally in total agreement. This surprises me, and to be honest, I think we've had more heated discussions about paint colour or faucet choices...definitely about lighting and height of hanging a painting. ;)

We've been pretty relaxed this go 'round and have had the odd five minute discussion about names when he gets home from working on the house and a few good ones traveling up to the cottage this summer. Our choices have actually changed a lot from where we started (with our secondary choices for boy/girl when we had Felix).

It's hard to write this without going into too much detail (I don't want to give away the surprise) or jinx it in case the baby comes out and doesn't look like a Vinyl or Jesus (oh, whoops, gave it away!)

Our final choices were made because (in descending order of importance):

1) we love the names
2) they have strong connections to family (just like Felix who was named with the initial F for Nonno Francesco and his middle name after his Opa, Abraham)
3) are a little old-fashioned...yes, it's the craze right now and I love it.
4) easy to pronounce
5) no weird alternative spellings
6) none of our friends/cousins/aquaintances have kids (or pets) with these names
7) they aren't on any top 100 lists (at the moment) so we hopefully don't meet any same-named kids at the playground.
8) doesn't have an unfortunate meaning (I love that Felix's name means happy/fortunate/lucky and that is exactly his little personality).

It's so much pressure to name a person and such an awesome thing to be able to do. We've had mainly very positive comments about Felix's name and some very honest negative ones as well. You can't please everyone, but I'm pretty excited about both our boy and girl choice and very curious about which name will soon be taking over the topic of my upcoming blog posts!

2 comments:

  1. #4 on your list is SO overrated! ;) Can't wait to hear baby #2 has arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love Andréanne's name! Unique, feminine, and suits baby and a CEO Did I get the right accent? ;). I should mention that we messed up on the x in Felix's name as we didnt realize how difficult it is for Italian's to pronounce!

    ReplyDelete