I knew I'd been missing Stephen, but I didn't realize how much I missed my friends, my neighbours, my street, my shower, my paint brush, Keith Richards, my grocery store, my film buff, Andy Barry, my mizi's breakfast until I saw them. Nonetheless, I didn't miss the smog, the garbage, the traffic (more specifically the Caribana Weekend Traffic) at all.
We had a couple of funny big city moments this weekend. On day 1 Steve and I rode the rocket to Kensington Market to do a bit of shopping. We were standing outside of this Ethiopan women's clothing store and a slightly scruffy urban hipster type walked up to us and asked for the time. I told him it was 12:35 and he said "I have a cab waiting with a quarter tank of gas". Steve and I were totally confused and so Steve asked, "What exactly are you asking us?" and they guy just walked away. Were we propositioned for drugs? I'm not sure.
On Saturday night at 5am someone started yelling through the mail slot of our front door. "MARY...RANDYYYYYYYYYYYYYY...." Steve walked downstairs and yelled back "WRONG HOUSE". Drunk lady: "Mary?" Steve: "WRONG HOUSE!" We've been trying to figure out who Mary & Randy are since we know pretty much everyone on our street and none of them are Mary & Randy.
The other thing that I have to mention about the weekend was how stunning our house looks. Stephen has been outdoing himself. He has been making the trim by scratch, and it looks so aunthentic to the age of the house and it is so well done for someone who has never done trim before. I need to stop and contemplate this for a moment - we have TRIM! I've been dreaming about this stage in the reno for so long!! He's almost finished all of the kitchen pieces (the island has a back to it), he's hired a landscaper, fixed the basement stairs, fixed the gutters, etc. Steve is awesome and I'm so proud of the way he is getting this reno done - things are really moving and I think we have the nicest house in Toronto. No, make that Canada. :)
There were so many great times this weekend that it's hard to mention them all: the reunion with the husband, the house, Vesuvios' pizza, shopping on Queen street, Yara & Lyle's party, meeting Tiago, the massive pork bbq with Kate & Karen, impromptu house visit by Jen & Michael, making Stephen freezer meals, sitting in our backyard, Dream in High Park with Nicole and Eric, and of course painting trim!
Wow, after reading this post I'm wondering why I moved back to Sask. Why did I move here? Oh yes, for my career, to be closer to my family, and because Stephen was ready for something new. I need to find some sort of support group for people who have recently moved back to Saskatchewan who left a fantastic job, an almost finished house, and an awesome set of friends and in-laws. Yeah, obviously we made the right choice.
AHH - this blog was supposed to be about how much better Saskatchewan is than Ontario. I guess this wouldn't be much of a story if everything was perfect immediately.
No comments:
Post a Comment