Sunday, September 7, 2008
Audition Weekend
In my new job as an ED of a small orchestra I get to experience so many sides of the industry that I never got to see in the big Tdot. Saturday morning were the general auditions for the season. All ages, instruments, and abilities came out for the big event which has to follow some strict guidelines to ensure fairness and to follow the musician's agreement. A double set of screens is place in front of one door for the auditioner and the voters sit along the opposite wall and have to enter through a separate door. I sat at a middle table where I could see both sides of the event and if the person auditioning had a question about what piece to play they had to whisper to me and I would translate for the decision makers. After each set of instruments auditioned there would be an american idol type of conversation and then secret ballots. At twelve o'clock exactly I had to make sure that there was food for the judges...what else but Copper Kettle pizza. After the auditions I was invited out for a post-mortem with a few of the orch musicians at The Crushed Grape which is swiftly becoming my favourite Regina spot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment