Wednesday, September 3, 2008

No Labour Weekend

Stephen and I both really needed a break. He had been working so hard on the house that he'd contracted a summer cold and I had been working as much as possible trying to get ready for the beginning of the season that we really needed a long weekend.

I took the 6:40 flight to Toronto after work and jumped in Kermit, our Volkswagen Golf, and drove North to the cottage. We didn't arrive until about 2:30 in the morning, but we were happy to find Susan, Jorge, Tiago, and Sue all sitting around the table visiting. We had a nice reunion and let Norman & Keith get reaquainted. Keith seemed a bit disappointed to have to share her cottage with a dog, but she was happy enough to hide in our bedroom and hang out outside on the deck.

We had perfect weather and enjoyed sitting on the dock, swimming, becoming addicted to playing backgammon, eating potato chip salads, and trying to make 2 month old Tiago smile.

On Tuesday morning, we drove back to the city. I was quite excited to see what had gone on in our house since I'd last visited. Steve had almost finished the backyard. He built an awesome tall fence and now we are missing our jungle view of Ned's backyard. He also put together a little patio made out of old bricks we'd taken out of the house and old porch. He'd finished the front room except for light fixtures and had moved his worldly possessions downstairs. He removed all of the old hardwood from upstairs and put down a subfloor. 2,500 screws! When I left this morning he was preparing to lay the bamboo upstairs.

Tuesday afternoon Lisa & Will stopped by for a visit. Will has obviously spent most of the summer growing into a little creature that can crawl and chuckle and throw blocks. He's such a cutie. In the evening, we met up with Uncle Dave and had a good visit. Later we went to get the tour of Emily's dorm room.

The best part of the weekend is to hear that Stephen is so determined to be finished by the end of September. I think he can do it and I'm excited to introduce him to Sask!

No comments:

Post a Comment