On Sunday we headed up to Northern Ontario (ok, just Aurora) for the baptism of my favourite nephew. It was a gorgeous sunny day. Because the baptism was at 1:30 and the church doesn't really take nap times into consideration, we were really not sure how things were going to go. I could have gone over to the house with the kids, but there was no telling if Felix would have gone down for his nap in another location (it has been hard enough at home lately) and since the house is not quite toddler-proof yet and I would be alone with the 2 we thought the best option would be to take the un-napped toddler to church.
Thankfully, Wilbert was immediately taken off my hands to happily nap in the arms of Grandma. Felix was overtired and somewhat shy initially of all of the relatives coming over to hug and kiss and pinch his cheeks. The service started and I took what I thought would be a strategic location on the edge of the pew for a quick getaway if need be.
The baptism was for about 20 kids, so it was all friends and family in the congregation and no mass. The priest talked about how it was ok for kids to cry in church and to make noise and how families should feel welcome and not intimidated (I was grateful for this speech later).
I kept Felix somewhat occupied for about 3 minutes with the toys I'd brought and the juice and snacks. He then decided he wanted to "balance" on the pews. He was quite interested in what was going on up front "oooooh, look mommy, WATER!" and slowly made his way to the steps where he at first quietly sat...and then gradually realized that he could jump off them and make a satisfying thud sound. Eventually he ended up front with Daddy who was busy with his godfather duties. When everyone clapped for the newly baptised at the end of the service, Felix was front and centre clapping and smiling...yes...we are that family. And by "that family" I'm thinking The Griswald's.
Other than our contribution, it was a beautiful service and my BIL and SIL hosted a lovely family gathering at their house after with vast quanitites of delicious meat, beer, and cookies...it was an awesome afternoon!
No comments:
Post a Comment