Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Friendliness

When I would go back to Toronto after a vacation in Saskatchewan, I started noticing a strange phenomenon. People would stop me on the street to ask directions, or start chatting with me on the street car. It seemed like the Toronto "guard" got let down and people would initiate contact with a stranger.

Our new couch got delivered tonight, and I was expecting a bit of a gong show because my delivery was forgotten last week so I was ready to get the couch in the wrong colour or for it to be all scratched. I just had a bad feeling about the entire experience. Anyway, these two sketchy looking dudes showed up at my door 15 minutes before their allotted time slot was expired. Sketchy 1, although missing teeth, unshaven, and generally dishevelled looking came in and explained everything he was doing, took the front door off, removed a hook that he thought might scratch the couch, and then proceeded to work for 20 minutes to try to get the couch through the rental's awkward front doorway. He was so friendly and helpful and it was such a pleasant surprise to get such great service.

I really notice how people are friendlier, more polite, and willing to take a moment to chat (especially if it is about the weather...or the 'riders). In Toronto, people are just as friendly and polite, but they don't show it until you get to know them a bit better.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's because the sktchies in TO are actually crazy, or high, or just creepy and scary... Did you manage to get the couch inside? I never want to buy another couch again...

    ReplyDelete