Monday, October 27, 2008

Sask Classical Music Lovers

This weekend's concert brought some insight into the classical music market here in Regina. There is no doubt that people love this orchestra, because I hear about it whenever I get introduced to new people. It's just what people respond to that is absolutely perplexing to me because it is so different than in Toronto. The career portion of my life has all been in Toronto so I'm finding that I have a lot to learn about Sask even though I grew up here.

People love the opposite of anything serious, they love having fun, and they love it when they get spoken to about the music. The Masterworks shows are introduced like Toronto Pops shows (except way more relaxed), sports scores are announced with great seriousness, and they love the repertoire that feature the orchestra way above the pieces that feature guest artists. In TO we would have competition if another touring orchestra came and performed the same week. In SK we compete against rock shows, football games, and pretty much any large gathering of people. Nonetheless Saskatchewan people take great pride in their own whether it be their football team, their people, or their orchestra even if they aren't necessarily the winning team.

No comments:

Post a Comment