I try to avoid posts about work which is hard because it pretty much consumes my day, dreams, toothbrush time, driving time, free time, etc.
The only way I can describe the past year of my work life is completely and utterly bipolar. I have had to deal with some of the most difficult HR issues I could imagine coming across, negotiated a master agreement that I was told would be all wrapped up by the time I took the job, and yet have had some amazing glorious moments of success - tonight was one of those.
As soon as I started this job, I knew I wanted to concentrate on introducing a new younger age demographic to the Symphony. We started a discounted ticket programme (blatantly copied off the TSO's tsoundcheck programme) called The Classically Hip, started doing some online marketing, and I looked into this Video Games Live show.
I knew that it would work here, but the cost of the artist fee vs. the ticket prices that the Regina market is used to wouldn't cover the show unless we sold quite a high percentage of the seats. I decided to approach our Venue to see if they wanted to do a co-production. They agreed quickly and we budgeted and started working together on marketing. At the very last minute before signing the contract, they backed out. I had to make a decision at that point - go it on our own with our massive 4 person staff who has never put on a "Rock Show" or give up on the opportunity. The night before I signed the contract I was up pacing for half the night, but I decided to take a deep breath and go for it.
Ten months later - tonight - was concert night. The show was so well done and professional. The Orchestra was very excited to play this concert and sounded fantastic. The audience was only tickets away from being sold out and extremely enthusiastic. It was a huge party and the VGL crew had a blast with the prairie hospitality.
Everything came together tonight, and I had one of those amazing moments sitting in the audience tonight knowing that this show wouldn't have come here without me...and it almost didn't because of the huge risk, but it turned out to be completely worthwhile and a massive success.
Congratulations! That's a feeling worth relishing in!
ReplyDelete