Monday, May 18, 2009

Dread

Alright, I'm still awake because I am so dreading my day at work tomorrow. It's filled with meetings and mayhem that I don't really want to deal with, but know that I must.

To be as vague as possible, it has to do with one of the Saskatchewan issues that I was least looking forward to dealing with when I moved back. Everyone knows everyone else and the interconnections between business, social, family, family friends, etc...it's well...incestuous.

In Regina, there is no such thing as a "business decision" - one that is purely made out of the best interests of the company you represent. You have to constantly think about who you may or may not upset because their second cousin twiced removed is on the Board of another contractor that you have decided it best not to work with anymore. Or someone important's great grand-niece is doing a masters in piano performance in Halifax so you should obviously hire them as a guest artist.

Yes, that's the way it works here sometimes...and it pisses me off.

2 comments:

  1. I am so with you on this one. The public sector is rife with nepotism (from its most literal to its loosest sense) and even when you benefit from it, it sucks, because you feel dirty and know that one day the devil is going to come take your first born. You never have an accurate sense of whether or not you are actually good at what you do, you constantly feel indebted to your connection, and everyone else gets to speculate as to whether or not you deserved what you got. There is a lot to be said for earning something fair and square.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post reminds me of the way things ran in Cambodia -- we hold ourselves above "3rd world" countries because they are corrupt, but we operate in the exact same way. Brutal.

    ReplyDelete