Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Dears at The Distrikt

One of our most beloved Canadian bands, The Dears, played in Regina at The Distrikt (formerly known as The State). I have been waiting to finally share a small Regina concert experience with Stephen, because they are so much more intimate and filled with energy that Toronto shows.

The Distrikt (yes, unfortunate spelling choice) is about 1/8th the size of the Mod Club, but it is the Toronto venue that it best compares to. Our tickets cost us $12 each. There were 3 bands - Black Diamond Bay (4 band members), Jets Overhead (5 members), and The Dears (7 band members). There were just over 100 people at the concert. I'm not sure how the math could possibly add up to make this show feasible.

The Dears started their set when the lead singer came and grabbed a chair at our table and started singing from the crowd. Most of the audience didn't realize that the show had started until he flipped on a flashlight that was at the bottom of his mic. His band then walked on stage and did some backup vocals as he walked around the crowd. Very cool way to start the show.

It just got better from there as they played songs from No Cities Left and Gang of Losers. Suddenly a very sterotypical Saskatchewan bar guy (baseball cap backwards, very drunk, very friendly) sat down at our table and started talking up Steve.

Guy: "Have you ever seen The Dears before?"
Steve: "Yeah, we've seen them"
Guy: "Do you know the Tragically Hip? I thought they were the best Canadian band ever until I heard The Dears live."
Steve: "Yes, I know the Tragically Hip..."

It went on and on and although we appreciated his passion for The Dears, we decided to vacate our table and move to the front of the stage to sing along and enjoy the rest of the concert. We then saw another stereotypical Sask guy jump on stage during a very low key song and start dancing away with the band. The five or so male friends that he was attending the concert with thought it was the best thing ever and were dancing away together. The lead singer referred to it as an "American Pie moment".

I was a curious about Hairy the Fetus during the show because it was the loudest thing it had ever been exposed to. As we were standing there swaying to the music and listening to the show I started to feel little flutters in my lower stomach. I'm just so proud that Hairy can recognize a good concert when it hears one.

No comments:

Post a Comment